When I posted this mani of Doctor Who nail art, the owner of Ellison’s Organics contacted me to see if I was interested in helping promote a new line of her polish that’s all Doctor Who themed. I had to think about it for 0.0000 seconds before I
said yelled, “YES!!!” We had a brainstorming session on my Facebook page a few weeks ago and she has been working hard ever since! I am SO incredibly excited to bring these swatches to you! She sent me the collection to test and review and here it is! Squeee!!! So without further ado…Doctor Who Nail Polish!!!
Edit: These begin pre-order availability on Sunday, August 3rd! :D
Bow Ties Are Cool
Ellison’s Organics Bow Ties Are Cool is a deep purple brown with beautiful littler shimmers. It verges on wanting to be a duochrome. It’s very fancy, just like bow ties!
Ellison’s Organics Weeping Angels is a gray chrome with subtle holographic shimmers. All I can say about this one is…. Don’t blink! This, by the way, is 1,000% my favorite episode. I still get creeped out by it when I’m sitting alone…looking around at any figurines…and I might just stare at them…for who knows how long… I was going to include a picture or gif of a weeping angel here, but we all know that any depiction of an angel becomes and angel, so I didn’t want to put you at rist.
You Look Beautiful, Dalek
Ellison’s Organics You Look Beautiful Dalek is a metallic green. It’s almost the color of oxidized copper. You know, the color that a Dalek would be if it were left in the vortex of two dimensions for too long….
Ellison’s Organics Sonic Screwdriver is a gorgeous glitter topper! It sits in a jelly base and is packed with golden glitters. It also sneaks in green flakies! If you need to open a door to another alien’s spacecraft, make sure you’re wearing Sonic Screwdriver! Here, Sonic Screwdriver is shown over You Look Beautiful, Dalek.
And just for funsies, I put one coat of Sonic Screwdriver over Allons-y. I just love how Sonic Screwdriver adapts to what you layer it with!
Ellison’s Organics Allons-y is my favorite of the collection. It’s a pale blue duochrome that shifts to a light green. It’s stunning. Just stunning, I tell you! Also, it’s a huge bonus that it’s my favorite Doctor’s catchphrase. Oh, David Tennant…how I pine for thee!
Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey
Another famous phrase from my favorite Doctor? Be still my heart! Ellison’s Organics Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey is fully of a bunch of glittery…stuff. People assume that nail polish is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint – it’s more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly… glitter-y wittery… stuff.
And here this beauty is over Bigger on the Inside! So versatile!!
Lots of Planets Have a North
Oh, you devilish ninth Doctor! You certainly don’t get enough love! Ellison’s Organics Lots of Planets Have a North is based off the ninth Doctor…and is named after one of the first things he says in the first episode of the reboot. It’s dark and brooding…just like him!! I would describe this color as bl-bl-urple. That’s black-blue-purple. Did I just make up a new word? Awesome. :P It also appears to have tiny shimmers in it, which gives it a ton of depth.
All of Time and Space
Ellison’s Organics All of Time and Space is a multi-chrome that shifts from gray to blue to purple–very subtely. It also has little shimmers. But what makes this polish really pop is that small glitters in it! I think she really nailed the look of space with this one!
It’s Bigger on the Inside
No Doctor Who Nail Polish Collection would be complete without an ode to the TARDIS! This cobalt blue polish is a crelly finish. I think I would like to try it in a jelly sandwich soon and see how it fairs! It’s color is very rich and I think it represents this famous spaceship quite well!
And now for an interview with the owner and creator of Ellison’s Organics!
- How long have you been making polish? Not quite a year! It’s been a steep learning curve but I’ve really come a long way and LOVE what I’m making now. Ellison’s Organics has been around for about 2.5 years.
- What got you started in polish? I wanted to play, too. I was not blessed with beautiful nails, but I love how gorgeous nail polish is, especially with all the stunning nail art around these days. I wanted to be involved, so I started experimenting. It has been a lot of fun, and I love to see the creative nail art and beautiful manis that my polishes help create.
- What is the hardest thing about making your own polish? Naming polishes! Sometimes I’ll stare at a polish for days thinking “what are you?!” Other times it just comes to me right away. I also second guess myself on the colors, wondering if customers will like them. Seems to be so far so good, though.
- What’s the best part about it? I love seeing the gorgeous colors and textures that come out of the natural micas, pigments and oxides that I use. It is so satisfying to mix colors together and come up with a one-of-a-kind color. I am also so happy when my customers are happy! Cheesy, I suppose, but I feel good knowing that something I made is bringing someone else joy.
- Do you have a favorite color? Oh, mercy. I love the gorgeous teal of Catch Me if You Can, and the deep, shimmery red of Some Like it Hot is so sexy! I really like the new glitter top, Sonic Screwdriver, over the gold of You Look Beautiful, Dalek. There is such a variety, which is part of what I like so much about doing this. I also love Cast Your Care-ibbeans Away. Apparently I could go on for days…
- What do you do for fun, other than make polish and paint your nails of course! Chase around my two boys (getting more fun as they get older!); I am a newbie runner and finished my first 5K last month! Sadly that’s about all I have time for, but I do enjoy a good book every now and again.
- Where did the brand name idea come from? Ellison’s Organics is a mix of my two boys, Elliott and Harrison. I thought it would be easier for my tired mom-brain to remember, and I started it for them initially.
- Anything else you want us to know about you or your brand? Most of my nail lacquers are vegan and naturally colored. There are a few that use micas that have FD&C colors already mixed in when they get to me, but I keep those to a minimum. I do my best to make nail lacquers that will be better for our bodies. Keep in mind that while the nail lacquer is not organic per se, most of the colorants are mixtures of natural micas and oxides. Also, I make other fun products, too! My organic oils kids’ soaps are SO fun for the little ones, and I even have a TARDIS and dalek soap! Be sure to check it out.