I had the pleasure to interview Shannon, the creator of Marbles for Polish. She also sent me three mini polishes as a sample so I could try them for myself! After Shannon and I talked about the interview, I started perusing her site and got more and more excited to receive the samples. Our tastes are quite similar and I was drooling over a lot of her swatches! Shannon sent me Kiki which is from the Kiki’s Delivery Service Collection, Psylocke, which is named after a Marvel character, and Emily! Psylocke is available now, Emily will be released later this month and Kiki will be available August 1, 2014!
Marbles for Polish Kiki is a light pink crelly packed with red and black glitters. They are all small, but are still varying in size. This was super easy to use. Sometimes with polish this style, you need a lot of coats. You really only need two with this one. I did do three but only because I have some horrendous blue stains from OPI Tiffany Case and I didn’t want that to tint the gorgeous light pink that is Kiki!
Marbles for Polish Psylocke is based off the Marvel character of the same name. I showed my husband the swatch and told him the name of the polish. His response was, “That totally fits.” So, boy approved! This is two coats. I would describe this somewhere between a duochrome and a subtle holo.
Marbles for Polish Emily is my favorite of the three. It’s a dark pink with glass fleck shimmers in it. Very pretty! It’s almost crelly. This is three coats but again, you can do two. I have those nasty blue stains to contend with.
- How long have you been making polish? I released my brand in February of 2014, a few months before that I was doing my testing and making polish for myself.
- What got you started in polish? I became obsessed with nail polish very fast in August/September of 2013 when I found a water marbling tutorial. I started buying Zoya polish and doing nail art all the time. I started my blog in September then started looking into making my own polish.
- What is the hardest thing about making your own polish? Probably the fact that I keep coming up with great ideas and releasing new polishes before I sell more polish. I’m going to put myself into debt because I keep buying new supplies!
- What’s the best part about it? Definitely the community. All the other indie makers, suppliers, and buyers that I’ve dealt with have been very helpful and kind. I hear of drama in the polish community, but I personally haven’t dealt with any yet.
- Do you have a favorite color? My favorite color in general is bright purple but for polish I think teals look good on me.
- What do you do for fun, other than make polish and paint your nails of course! I love photography, baking, and a lot of geeky stuff. I like video games, comics, movies. And of course I love spending time with my family.
- Where did the brand name idea come from? After I did my first water marble I thought Marbles For Polish would be a great name for my blog (ya know, marbles, like crazy). I wanted to carry the name over to my brand so it would be easier to link the two and gain the same fans from my blog for my brand.
- Anything else you want us to know about you or your brand? My brand is 5 free and mixed in small batches or 1 bottle at a time. I have a polish out now for a cause. It’s called Warrior Princess Claire and I made it for a little girl I know. $2 from each sale of it will go to her foundation.
You can find Marbles for Polish at these sites: